Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday?
(07-06-2023, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: But there has to come a time when a nation/people are no longer held to account for the sins of the past.  To not do so actually turns people away from examining those wrongs.  Why bother even trying to address and atone for them if it will never go away, never be enough.  How many generations have to pass before that wrong is no longer a burden for them to bear? 

I don't know. Trying to look behind the noise though, I see indications that racism is still a present issue. I also see that past sins still have a distinct bearing in present times. Maybe these stances can be challenged fair-mindedly, it's just how I read certain studies and statistics and some recent events. And that's where I get the point of not leaving it be, when the consequences of past sins are still quite palpable. It's not just slavery, which sure happened a long time ago now. It's also the time after slavery, segregation and other racist policies were a thing many decades after slavery's end, went deep into 20th century, and it denied the black population much opportunity to advance and accumulate wealth. An argument I am sympathetic with and which leads me to believe that not everyone addressing racism and possible atonements is a bad faith actor. 

As for answers, nope I have none, I just had some issues with the arguments presented in the video.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday? - hollodero - 07-06-2023, 01:27 PM