Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Biden likely violated free speech
(07-06-2023, 04:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Interesting you mention this tidbit. I was listening to Mark Kaye the other day and he was talking about how politics is becoming eye for an eye (my words not his). In other words, you come after me, I'm coming after you. Which, I'm kind of glad the GOP is finally starting to fight back. They suffered from trying to be the better party by not reacting to the chaos and false accusations from the left. Of course, I know your not going to agree with me because I'm supporting the GOP in my statement, but it's how I see it.

This is a link to the 1990 GOPAC memo Bels was referring to. https://web.archive.org/web/20130902053532/http://web.utk.edu/~glenn/GopacMemo.html

Notice the list of contrasting terms at the bottom, which Repubs were urged to incorporate into their speech. The list starts with these:
  • abuse of power
  • anti- (issue): flag, family, child, jobs
  • betray
  • bizarre
  • bosses
  • bureaucracy
  • cheat
  • coercion
  • "compassion" is not enough
  • collapse(ing)
  • consequences
  • corrupt
  • corruption
  • criminal rights
  • crisis
  • cynicism
  • decay
There is NOTHING like this on the Dem side. The purpose of the memo was to coach GOP Congressmen and activists to address their Dem colleagues in more abusive language, to frame them all in terms anti-Americanism, corruption, and criminality--regardless of the person or the issue. And increasingly, that IS how they addressed their colleagues. The moderates in the party either retired or were voted out by people upped the nasty rhetoric. 

That's how they were trying to be "the better party" right after the Iran Contra affair. Bels has already mentioned Joe McCarthy and Agnew/Nixon.

Trump schooled even Gringrich on the art of foul and ungrounded accusation in the 2016 election. His tweet comparing his wife to Cruz's I rate as the nastiest and most childish political taunt since the Civil War era; and he launched it after accusing Cruz's father of participating in the Kennedy assassination and Cruz of not being a U.S. citizen, as he had earlier accused Obama. Was he fighting back against "leftist chaos and false accusations" when he did all that? 

Now, as the president who lied his way to an attempted coup continues, as always, to say the vilest things even about fellow Republicans, that's how you see a "passive" GOP "fighting back" against "chaos and false accusations from the left"? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden likely violated free speech - Dill - 07-06-2023, 05:19 PM