Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Is US ready to shut down power plants?
(07-06-2023, 12:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: Never said it was.  As a matter of fact that is what I was advocating.  The problem is most of the far left are so ignorant of reality, that they only see things a all or nothing (and I guess to be fair the far right is the opposite but the same).  However, I am not worried about them because they have no money (far left).  Govt's don't have the money to make this transition.  It is the energy companies that will move us forward toward the energy transition because they are the ones who #1 - have the money to do so, #2 - Have the KNOWHOW to do so as they have been providing the world power for a over a century and #3 - Are actually doing something about it, which activists are not and cannot and gov't can't get out of their own way to act.

And it's a political bombshell, whichever side you're on especially with politicians more worried about getting re-elected than governing, the two sides are stalemated.  The far left screams "End Oil Completely" which is dumb and impossible.  The govt can't tell them their idiots, nor can the govt work with the energy companies on the Energy Transition because that would look bad, when the far left wants it all black and the far right wants it all white, thus the Energy companies are ignoring both and actually doing something.

Wait, so you're saying that much like every topic in politics it is more nuanced than the average person has been led to believe?!

I am shocked. Shocked, I say.

Ok, I'm not really, but I know there are plenty of people on here when it comes to plenty of issues that like to think issues are black-and-white/all-or-nothing types of things when in reality there is always a lot of nuance involved. It's just always nice to have a reminder of that from someone other than me.

(07-06-2023, 02:48 PM)Stewy Wrote: NOTE Below:  When I say liberal or conservative, I mean the extremists, representing the hugely vocal radical minorities of each group.  This post is not intended to speak  specifically to anyone HERE reading it, but is purely for informational purposes.

I thought I would give some perspective on some misinformation that circulates out there about renewables.

Texas Freeze  Feb. 2021 - ERCOT the Texas power grid failed during the days long hard freeze, which froze power plants and wind turbines.  This one created misinformation (if not down right lies) on both the conservative and liberal fronts.

My understanding of the biggest issue in Texas (beyond them ignoring warnings about that sort of thing happening) was their insistence on independence from the rest of the power grid meaning when they had their failures it left them hanging out to dry because they weren't tied in enough to get any sort of help from surrounding states. I never even paid attention to the whole what froze when. Just that it did, they had been warned it could happen, and that their hubris led them to be disconnected from the sort of help other states would've had if it had happened to them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is US ready to shut down power plants? - Belsnickel - 07-09-2023, 09:18 PM