Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should the government pay off student's debt?
(07-14-2023, 05:09 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Well, I am a proponent of free or greatly reduced higher education. However, that doesn't mean that I think they should pay off the loans. I do think that the loans should be altered to make them less suffocating. I think your points are overall reasonable - college has become exorbitantly expensive and the cost of college has far outpaced wages. I think that needs to be addressed with some kind of tuition capping and zero interest loans, or something along those lines. If we want to say there is a cost associated with college then that's fine, but we need to find a path to make it less overbearing on the student once they graduate. 

I can only speak for myself here, but I wouldn't have an issue with my tax dollars going towards these people getting their debt paid off. I don't feel like I am getting screwed simply because I had to do something and then someone else after me didn't. I will always encourage my fellow American to receive something that I didn't if I believe it is for the benefit of society/country. If 100% free college was passed tomorrow I would be out in the streets and cheering. There will always be moochers, but these people are greatly outnumbered by the people who are actually working hard on their degree. 

All good points.No doubt, if they can't reduce stop college tuition hikes, this problem will not go away. I like the idea of zero interest, but I think the student should have some skin in the game to get a great no cost loan. I think the qualifier is a 3.2 GPA or above. This way those not taking the experience seriously can pay for those who work hard. My point being, not all students would maintain the 3.2, so they pay interest per the terms established helping to offset the 3.2 or above students no interest loans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should the government pay off student's debt? - Luvnit2 - 07-14-2023, 06:32 PM