Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should the government pay off student's debt?
(07-17-2023, 05:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't understand this part.

There are plenty of articles and complaints that millennials are "killing" various industries and markets.  Maybe those articles have fizzled out now that people realize millennials like myself are in their 40s by now.

The idea is that if you are smart with your money you aren't supposed to splurge on things that aren't necessary or have kids until you're financially secure, and since a lot of money is being paid off to predatory student loan providers with some wallet-killing interest rates there isn't much left to spend on stuff that other people make a living selling.

So yeah, I took out student loans rather that sign up to be in the army before we elected another Bush and ended up entering a 20 year war (thankfully, because I'd rather have debt than roll those dice).  I've paid on my student loans and I'm not suffering, but I also have never gone on vacation, or bought a new car, I didn't have a wedding when I got married, there was no diamond engagement ring that cost 2 months salary involved, and so on and so forth.

I don't know anyone who works for Nelnet, but I know a lot of people who sell stuff I'm not buying because I'm being fiscally responsible and sending my money to pay off my student loans.  I only point this out because there has been a lot of moaning about how the same people who need to pay their student loans aren't spending money on stuff people spent money on when it was much easier to pay off student loans.

Shopping small, buying American, having kids...it takes a backseat to paying those loans.  I'm not saying anyone should pay them off but me, but society needs to get off my ass about killing all their precious industries and not having 5+ white, middle-class, god-fearing children. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should the government pay off student's debt? - Nately120 - 07-17-2023, 05:50 PM