Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Florida Schools to Tell Kids Slavery Benefited Black People
(07-21-2023, 09:42 PM)Millhouse Wrote:
  • Instruction includes how slavery among indigenous peoples of the Americas was utilized prior to and after European colonization.

One thing I read in that reminded me of an interesting tidbit in Civil War history, which was the last Confederate General to surrender was Stand Watie. Watie was 3/4's Cherokee, and was even a major slaveholder prior to the war, as was his father before him.

History definitely isn't as ideal as some want it to be.

Also prior to the Civil War, there were roughly I think 3700 free black Americans that owned slaves, like around 12 to 13 thousand or so. Granted the latter number is quite small compared to the total number, but at the same time slavery was viewed entirely differently around the world back then for the most part which existed for thousands of years prior.

Keep in mind that many of the black owned slaves were actually family members of the slave owners. Not all of course, but it was common that a slave who either bought their freedom or was emancipated to go back and buy their parents, wives, children, etc. with an eye on freeing them when they could

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Florida Schools to Tell Kids Slavery Benefited Black People - pally - 07-22-2023, 07:46 AM