Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fox's Greg Gutfeld #1 Show beating all of the late night comedians
(07-25-2023, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know Gutfelds resume.  Seems odd comparing him to people who have done actual comedy for decades, political or otherwise. 

Colbert has mostly had a political bend, though I recall old SNL stuff where he was just a fake straight man type, I think.

Colbert has a very impressive resume.  He's been a writer and a performer on numerous shows.  He was on the writing team for the criminally underrated Dana Carvey Show.  Look up that writing team and be shocked at the huge names you'll find. 

Quote:Gutfelds imdb page doesn't look like one of a working comedic actor, so he's a funny political commentator not a comedian who got a late night show in the era where political sides are ever present. 

Pretty much.

Quote:My viewpoint is that my wife doesn't care about national politics in the 24/7 way I do. She can recognize Colbert and Fallon and Kimmel for various things from the Barry Gibb talk show to Karl Malone on aliens, but I doubt she knows who Gutfeld is. 

I doubt many people who don't follow Fox would recognize him.

(07-25-2023, 12:56 PM)Dill Wrote: I've watched a deal of Gutfeld and I agree he is lively and witty; the show often sparkles.

They have a pretty good formula going, with regulars like Kat Timpf and Tyrus. Their writers are not union, so unaffected by the strike.

Disagree with Nati, though. Hate, fear, and division are not "hidden" in their comedy. 

No empathy whatsoever for migrants. Scorn for "the elite" and sleepy Joe reinforced every night; no unfavorable Trump jokes.

You're giving it much more praise than I would, but you've clearly seen more of it than I have.  I think the panel style definitely helps overcome Gutfeld's lack of comedy credentials, I doubt he could hold attention on his own.  As for scorn heaped on Dems, is that really any different than Colbert or Kimmel?  When was the last time either of them said anything bad about a Dem?  Colbert hangs out with Chuck Schumer.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fox's Greg Gutfeld #1 Show beating all of the late night comedians - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-25-2023, 01:05 PM