Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why doesn't the gop run better candidates?
(07-28-2023, 12:14 PM)basballguy Wrote: The thing is....despite what you think you know, many GOP voters DO NOT CARE who the representative is.  Why?  Because we vote with our brains and not our emotions.  We vote for policy and the person.

I don't care if DJT cheated on his wife.  Will he lead the country and support the policies I support?  Then he gets my vote.  

With that said, I really think DeSantis (who is a great leader and excellent candidate) will walk away with the nomination in a landslide and finally get us out of this rut of old people.  Clinton and Obama were in their 40s...i think W was early 50s?  

You don't vote for people you don't like based on their personality (among other things).  You use emotion to vote and that's you're right.

I think this is a bit of a reductive argument. Trying to paint one side as voting with only their brains (I.E. logic?) simply isn't true. Maybe it is true for YOU. There are plenty of GOP voters who will vote based on emotion, but that emotion is placed in a different area. Perhaps a GOP voter is going to be motivated to vote based on their outrage over a particular culture war issue, or maybe because they believe that the opposing Democrat is insert whichever word here and we can't have that. I remember running into a a discussion back in the early 2010's of people who went to vote because they believed Obama was the anti-christ and the world would end if he was elected again. 

TL;DR - Voters of all political affiliation are human, and each side is going to use their emotions to vote.

I do find one particular point interesting that you brought up. Since 2016, I have ran into a number of people who support/supported DJT that have said something along the lines of "I don't care if he is a terrible person - I like his policy." As you said, that is their right but I find it to be a bit blind. You mention having a person to lead the country, but if that persons moral and ethical standards are in question then I believe it stands to reason that he may not be the best candidate. Certainly there are exceptions to the rule that you laid out and it isn't as simple as you explain because the details of personality will often dictate how effective of a leader they are and how reliable they may be around sensitive information.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why doesn't the gop run better candidates? - KillerGoose - 07-28-2023, 12:30 PM