Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why doesn't the gop run better candidates?
(07-28-2023, 12:48 PM)basballguy Wrote: Well are we talking at the primaries or at the general election?  I guess I could've clarify a bit more what i mean.  

I like to believe if I ever voted in a primary where there is more to just policy that I would take character into consideration.  But once the nomination is done and the presidential ballot is set, why does it matter?  I know where they stand on the policies that i firmly believe in.  

Edit:  Also, I said many voters....that was my caveat :)  In my walk of life (which is not in rural america) the circles I operate in professionally and personally have a similar sentiment.

I think I can understand this perspective a little bit more. I don't fully agree with it, but I can at least understand. If someone's position is "Man, this guy is a POS but I do believe in his policies and I don't really have any other options" then it makes sense. I'm sure I could find myself in a position where I wasn't a fan of a candidate personally but supported his election, but it depends on how badly I disliked him personally. For instance, I wouldn't vote for someone that I just found to be abominable simply because they supported policies that I liked. I wouldn't want a person that I disliked so much to lead the country regardless of their platform.

What I tend to struggle with are voters who genuinely don't care how nasty the person is. Racist, xenophobic, hell even rapist. I have ran into people here in Oklahoma that have expressed their thoughts of "don't give a shit what he did, if he ain't a Democrat..." and I just find that thought process to be baffling. That is what I am referring to when I say that I find it to be a bit blind. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why doesn't the gop run better candidates? - KillerGoose - 07-28-2023, 02:21 PM