Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts.
(07-27-2023, 03:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: ***

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeswealthteam/2022/01/19/americas-top-givers-2022-the-25-most-philanthropic-billionaires/?sh=1c6195853a6c

That's a list of the Top 25 philanthropists in the US. Do you notice what they have in common?

Not certain of your point here. Are you saying that the more money one has the more you have the opportunity to be philanthropic? If so, I'm not sure it applies to the situation we are discussing here. 

The people on your list, like Bill Gates, were individuals who created a new industry or who made their wealth in a way vastly different than the zero sum game that is the reality of a NFL player in an industry with a salary cap. In Joe Burrow's case, the more he makes, the more he can be philanthropic, sure, but it also means less money available to another player and their ability to be philanthropic. 

If Joe Burrow wishes to join the ultrawealthy in a way that does not reduce the pot for other players, then he can use his money to build a business or can do commercials, etc. 

I hate the way that Jerry Jones mentions Micah Parsons in refusing to renegotiate one of his players contracts, but his statement shows the reality of a league with a salary cap or limited money to put toward salaries: ""We need the money to pay [Micah] Parsons. We need the money to pay the players that we got to pay in the future. It's a fact. It's not even a philosophy. It's just a fact. "

I do think that Joe is a player who is well aware of this and will take more into account than just his own wealth, but will also look out for his teammates, the team, the franchise, and the fans. We will see. I still kind of expect an agreement to come before the end of training camp.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts. - Nepa - 07-29-2023, 06:44 PM