Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(08-08-2023, 07:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: I'm....befuddled....not at you, just in general.

I think it's crazy that we say both these things:

1) The culture was dog shit when ML took over.  God bless him for changing the culture.
2) The culture was dog shit when ZT took over.  God bless him for changing the culture.

Either ML was good for our culture or he wasn't lol.  

Again, just a general observation.  I have no idea what you thought about ML when he took over.  

I get where you're coming from and this truly is a FASCINATING study of leadership, willingess to change, and commitment. Stunning, really.

I think ML changed the culture to be much better FOR THAT ERA of NFL football and compared to what had been going on for the previous 12 or so years in Cincinnati. Mike Brown did not understand the modern athlete and Marvin helped change that for sure.

Where Marvin failed was that he couldn't adapt or evolve from the culture he created - especially with Mike there as the bottlecap. He was a slave to his own machinations as far as how the roster was to be constructed and the players he was comfortable with. He loved verteran guys on 3rd, 4th deals. Guys in their 30s and past their prime. He trusted them and relied on them. ZT, stark contrast, trusts very specific 2nd year guys and his own guys he brings in via the draft.

And ZT drafts a completely different type of guy than Marvin, generally speaking. The FAs are completely different types of guys since Taylor came in.

That being said, it's no coincidence that this flow chart lead to this 180 degree move: Marvin was fired "not retained" > Mike Steps way into the back of the bus > Katie, Troy, & Duke take control of day to day > The aformentioned signed THEIR guy who pitched a vision that resonated with them > The entire team is behind the concept as a group.

To me, THAT is the flow chart and timeline that makes sense as to why Marvin's culture was changed. Marvin was handcuffed by Mike Brown, sure, but I think he also plotted with Mike on a lot of roster stuff, too. Mike gave marvin a ton of what he wanted. I think this group does with ZT, too, but are much much much more willing to listen to coach Taylor and have an actual long term plan.

I give INCREDIBLE thanks and credit to Taylor, Katie, Troy, Duke, etc. for creating what might be the best work environment & system in the entire league. Katie & Troy being given control by Mike was HUGE. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted. - PDub80 - 08-08-2023, 08:18 PM
Free Agency Three Days in - Joelist - 03-15-2023, 09:57 PM