Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How strong is the STOCK act, really?
(08-08-2023, 01:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get that, and you're not even the first one to bring it up.  However, how do they get to create a separate "minor infraction" rule for themselves, when citizens are held to the insider trading level of charge and punishment?  Do they stop being citizens at the Congressional level?

I've seen someone on social media compare the leniency of these punishments to the harshness of the consequences received by athletes who bet on games.  It's not apples to apples, but I think generally speaking that people get way more upset about gambling in sports.  People let the insider trading slide because it's not exciting and it fades from memory due to lack of constant exposure.  Event high level political scandal impacts these people minimally.  

At the end of the day this country is so locked in partisan tribalism that most people will literally vote for a criminal before they vote for an opponent of the other party.  It's like Bob Castellini said to Reds fans last year: "Where you gonna go?"  If Trump gets convicted on every single count, will it really cause GOP voters to pick his liberal opponent?  Will dems vote for Trump if Biden somehow gets tied up in real legal trouble?  Hell no on either count.  

Our legislators have the best gig you can possibly get.  Practically every working person in this country dreams of retirement.  You can't pry these people out of office.  They literally sit their asses in the honey hole until someone hauls their corpse out of the DC office.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How strong is the STOCK act, really? - samhain - 08-08-2023, 09:40 PM