Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024!
(08-09-2023, 08:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think you can count raising the voting age to 25 as a "huge red flag".  We hear a lot about how a person's brain hasn't fully developed until around that age (later for men btw).  This is based on sound scientific fact.  Consequently, there is a concerted effort by the left to raise the age of criminal responsibility to age 25 for this very reason.

https://www.juvjustice.org/blog/1174

As the above link states, Vermont has raised the age to 20.  Now, I'm reasonably sure you'll agree with me on this.  If you aren't responsible enough to be charged with criminal activity as an adult, then you damned sure aren't responsible to enough to vote until that age as well. Or am I wrong?

We're talking about taking away people's right to vote.

People who happen to trend left.

Must be a coincidence that a rightwing nut wants to disenfranchise young voters who probably won't vote for him.

Maybe the Democrat version of Vivek should say "people over the age of 60 can't vote, because we can't be sure that their brain has not degraded." That would certainly help their voting odds, just like this would help Republican's voting odds.

Or maybe we just don't take away people's right to vote once they've received it.

As for the Vermont law, I understand that you've linked "being an adult" to voting as well as being held criminally liable as an adult, so the age for those two activities should be linked, but we have several other age limits that make no sense like this. Why can you smoke at 18 but you can't drink until 21? Why can you drive at 16 and enlist in the military at 17 (with parental consent) but can't vote until 18? Why can't you rent a car until you're 25? Why is the age of consent different in different states, ranging from 16 to 18?

If these things are all things adults are capable of doing, why not standardize them onto one age nationwide? (Rhetorical question, I don't expect an answer to this).

I don't personally like the idea of that Vermont bill. I think we, as a society, have accepted 18 to be the age of adulthood, and it is out duty to raise children to understand the law by that age, or else they will be held responsible as an adult. Changing it now will likely cause more confusion than anything else. But, if that spread across the country, I still do not think it would have a bearing on people's right to vote. Being an informed voter has nothing to do with age. I know 40 year olds who are less politically engaged than 15 year olds.

Now, if someone were to propose requiring a civics test before voting....I'd still be against it (for the same reason I oppose stricter ID laws, because they disenfranchise younger and poorer voters), but I'd at least understand why someone would want that haha. I wouldn't necessarily suspect them of nefarious reasoning like I do with Vivek here.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024! - CJD - 08-10-2023, 12:35 AM