Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024!
(08-10-2023, 11:15 AM)pally Wrote: My father, a career military officer, returned from serving in Vietnam in 1972.  He was sent to Southern Methodist University in Dallas to get his Masters's degree and to run the Air Force ROTC program while he was there.  They were told specifically not to wear their uniforms unless they were actually participating in ROTC activities and that included my Dad and his staff.  Locker rooms were provided to change in.  They were under strict orders not to call attention to themselves

We lived in the Washington DC area from 1968-1972.  Now, I get that Washington will skew the perspective of what was happening across the US, but I remember numerous times my mom had to drive through protesters to get to the base gates.  It didn't matter which base we utilized in the area there were protesters there.  Did they spit on the uniformed military members...I don't know but the atmosphere was there.

That's a shame.  I'm sure some, many, were met with all kinds of different people when they came back. Protestors at a military base seems more likely to have had the vitriol then a small town in SW PA where my family was.

I think that's all I and Dill have said:  Everyone had a different experience and some of what is "well known" thanks to the media may not have been as wide-spread as we were told when we were growing up. 

If it happened to your own family you are probably more likely to feel like it happened more everywhere else too and probably take it a lot more personally.  

Back to the topic of the thread I'm not sure what any of this had to do with Ramaswamy' crazy "ideas" though other than trying to make youth "love our country more".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024! - GMDino - 08-10-2023, 11:58 AM