Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When We Dropped The Atomic Bombs…..
(08-12-2023, 12:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I thought the book answered a very popular question quite well.

Was it necessary to drop the nuclear bombs?

Yes and no. Yes, it was necessary to end the war at the earliest possible moment with minimal American lives lost. No, it was not necessary to end the war. 

And from that conclusion stems a particularly difficult question: Now knowing all the ramifications, was it worth it?

I personally believe that dropping the bombs was wrong. However, I recognize that I make that assertion benefitting from now knowing the exact consequences and the trajectory that it sent our species on. One that I believe will result in the eventual extinction of our species. An important distinction that I try to make when arguing against the use of the bombs is that it is possible to recognize and accept that it was the wrong decision, and by just about any definition among the worst of war crimes ever committed, without outright condemning the decision. We simply had power that we were then unable to comprehend.

The victor gets to rewrite history however. Instead of using that to spin narratives that the use of the bomb was entirely necessary and the "right" thing to do, I would prefer that it be used to recognize errors, educate and ensure that such a catastrophe is never seen again. 

I won't hold my breath.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When We Dropped The Atomic Bombs….. - CKwi88 - 08-13-2023, 05:42 PM