Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(08-14-2023, 01:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's been said that Katie wanted Marv and Mike wanted Mike Mularky. I want to say that even Mike has said this.

I don't think Katie was "running the team" back then, but she definitely had a lot of sway, even back then.

"And if it wasn't for Katie Blackburn offering her support for Lewis rather than Brown's preference of either Tom Coughlin or Mike Mularkey, then we could be in far worse shape."

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/10/15/1753443/rehashing-old-topics-bengals-should-capitulate-to-marvin-lewis

"Lewis has emerged as the top pick of Katie Blackburn, the Bengals' executive vice president, according to one of the sources, who is familiar with the NFL's hiring situation. Blackburn is the daughter of Bengals president Mike Brown.

A source within the league said, however, that the Bengals were still committed to interviewing Mularkey, who was one of their original preferences."

https://www.mrt.com/news/article/Sources-Bengals-Eyeing-Marvin-Lewis-7766407.php

Every QB played MUCH worse in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis.

Palmer went from franchise QB to barely being able to complete a pass vs the Jets.
Kitna went from Comeback Player of the Year to 2nd half meltdown.
Dalton went from a QB that threw 60 TDs in a 2 year span, to a guy who threw 1 TD in 4 games.
Macaroni went from having a 97.1 passer rating to a 68.3 passer rating.

Burrow wouldn't have won a single playoff game under Marvin.

I have no doubts that Katie was involved with big decisions the team made. But she was no doubt just a voice in the room compared to Mike. I think Mike certainly helped bring her in on things like that.

I will also say that Mike doesn't get enough credit for being a good teammate/listener to his coaches and other executives. I could see a scenario where Mike is open to listening to Katie and hiring Marvin. I also know that Marvin & Mike became close friends and Mike has said multiple times that (after Marvin) he more or less let go and allowed Katie & Troy to interview & find the next coach as he was going to turn things over. I just can't see him being hands off in that way in 2003 in his late 60s.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted. - PDub80 - 08-14-2023, 06:14 PM
Free Agency Three Days in - Joelist - 03-15-2023, 09:57 PM