Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Are sanctuary cities really sanctuary cities?
(08-18-2023, 01:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, it isn't though. It would be a solid one if sanctuary cities were what the GOP claims they are versus what they actually are: cities that do not support/aid ICE in arresting undocumented immigrants. That's all. The idea of sanctuary cities isn't that they will give them anything or support them in any way. There are places that have said they will do that, but that's not what a sanctuary city is.

You're not entirely correct about the designation, I can tell you it goes far beyond not assisting ICE and is well into actively hindering.  That said, is the distinction really that important?  If you prevent federal authorities from doing their job how can that be construed in any way other than you directly aiding those the feds are targeting?  Also, I don't think "giving them anything" is the position of many.  

The real problem, and I believe this trend started with this issue, is the suspension of the rule of law.  If you don't like a law then change it.  But choosing to ignore it when it's expedient to you flouts the entire concept of having laws in the first place.  This opened the door to prosecutors who actively ignore the law in pursuit of the ideological objectives.  And when I say actively, I literally mean it.  I haven't seen as many mischarges from a DA in my twenty plus years on this job than I have since Gascon took over.  More in the past three years than the other twenty combing and multiplied by a hundred.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are sanctuary cities really sanctuary cities? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-18-2023, 01:16 PM