Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Are sanctuary cities really sanctuary cities?
(08-18-2023, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're not entirely correct about the designation, I can tell you it goes far beyond not assisting ICE and is well into actively hindering.

Maybe in some, but that's not the majority and not what the designation really is. I will share this link for a good definition of the term: https://fclawlib.libguides.com/immigrationlaw/sanctuary

I will note that even the way I worded it is incorrect from what this says and the definition really acknowledges the differences that exist. The main point is that the term does not mean what the OP was claiming it means.

(08-18-2023, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That said, is the distinction really that important?  If you prevent federal authorities from doing their job how can that be construed in any way other than you directly aiding those the feds are targeting?  Also, I don't think "giving them anything" is the position of many.  

I think it is. There is a difference between material support and what the intentions of sanctuary city policies are. The OP lays it out in the first line of his post and we have been seeing this narrative from Abbot and DeSantis as they have trafficked undocumented immigrants under fraudulent conditions.

(08-18-2023, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The real problem, and I believe this trend started with this issue, is the suspension of the rule of law.  If you don't like a law then change it.  But choosing to ignore it when it's expedient to you flouts the entire concept of having laws in the first place.  This opened the door to prosecutors who actively ignore the law in pursuit of the ideological objectives.  And when I say actively, I literally mean it.  I haven't seen as many mischarges from a DA in my twenty plus years on this job than I have since Gascon took over.  More in the past three years than the other twenty combing and multiplied by a hundred.

I don't disagree, but here is my position on sanctuary cities. Immigration law is federal law and I have zero issues is a state or local government states that they will not be involved in the enforcement of a federal law. I do not think there should be active interference, but if the policy is one where they won't aid in the enforcement then I have no problem with that. After all, a federal law isn't a law a state or locality can change, but it also isn't their law to enforce for those same reasons.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are sanctuary cities really sanctuary cities? - Belsnickel - 08-18-2023, 01:29 PM