Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Are sanctuary cities really sanctuary cities?
(08-18-2023, 01:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe in some, but that's not the majority and not what the designation really is. I will share this link for a good definition of the term: https://fclawlib.libguides.com/immigrationlaw/sanctuary

I will note that even the way I worded it is incorrect from what this says and the definition really acknowledges the differences that exist. The main point is that the term does not mean what the OP was claiming it means.

I can tell you one thing I have definitely noticed is the difference between what is said publicly and what is actually implemented.  What Los Angeles says publicly about being a sanctuary city is not even close to the policies they actually enforce.

Quote:I think it is. There is a difference between material support and what the intentions of sanctuary city policies are. The OP lays it out in the first line of his post and we have been seeing this narrative from Abbot and DeSantis as they have trafficked undocumented immigrants under fraudulent conditions.

Let me ask you a question because I'd honestly like to know how you view the following.  How would you classify the county, or city forbidding ICE from detaining people outside of county jail or inside a court building?  Is that not supporting or is it actively hindering?

Quote:I don't disagree, but here is my position on sanctuary cities. Immigration law is federal law and I have zero issues is a state or local government states that they will not be involved in the enforcement of a federal law. I do not think there should be active interference, but if the policy is one where they won't aid in the enforcement then I have no problem with that. After all, a federal law isn't a law a state or locality can change, but it also isn't their law to enforce for those same reasons.

By that same logic a local government, county or smaller, could say they will refuse to enforce any gun control laws passed at the state level.  Which we both know has happened.  At what point does the refusal to follow a law enacted by a larger organ of government become a complete dissolution of the rule of law?  Can a city refuse to follow county law?  Can a city refuse to follow a law, such as in CA, where Newsome is suing Huntington Beach for refusing to comply with this edict that "X" number of housing in a city be designated as low income?

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2023/04/10/california-sues-huntington-beach-for-violating-state-housing-element-law/

Cannot Huntington Beach refuse to comply with this law as it is enacted by the state?  Yes, they have representation in the state legislature, but the same argument could be made for representation at the Federal level.  This idea that you can refuse to participate in a law that was enacted at a higher level is a dangerous one to say the least.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are sanctuary cities really sanctuary cities? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-18-2023, 02:01 PM