Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Germany refuses to pay fair share to NATO
(08-20-2023, 10:19 AM)Dill Wrote: The rather puzzling video deserves a separate response.

1. Reid's claim that U.S. media tend to ignore disasters in browner countries, and that they do not get the same outpouring of aid is quite right.

2. That doesn't mean she cannot/shouldn't be subject to criticism, as her program does exactly the same thing. Ukraine reporting has dominated her commentary for almost two years now.

3. But your Sky commentators instead take issue with what was factually correct in Reid's report, denying that 
that there is this discrepancy both in reporting about, and response to, disasters in browner countries.  

Megan Kelly's counter-example--"When I was at Fox we covered Syria etc etc"--is especially bad in that Fox coverage fueled the anti-immigration sentiment which propelled Trump into office, as well as support for his Muslim ban. It was not framed to create support and sympathy for Syrian refugees. Fox reporting is and example of what Reid critiqued.

The response of the Sky commentators is not really about Ukraine. They are attacking "real" racism--the right wing term for the project of researching and reporting how racial bias has continued in supposedly color blind institutions since 1964. 

This post made me think about how little I hear about what's going down in Niger in most news coverage and how little we have been talking about it here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Germany refuses to pay fair share to NATO - Belsnickel - 08-20-2023, 10:26 AM