Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
When will the GOP admit to themselves and their voters the truth about Donald Trump a
(08-24-2023, 10:58 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Actually, I do think if the Dems dropped their more extreme positions then you'd see support for Trump start to fade.  It's never going to go away entirely, but many people see him as a bulwark against a radical Dem agenda that threatens the very cultural fabric of the nation.  The idea of being a nation of law and order (ironic considering the zeal in which they've gone after Trump) literally doesn't exist in many deep blue areas.  I could go on about other cultural touchstones, but none would surprise anyone.  

It also doesn't help that things were perceivably better under Trump, regardless of whether he was responsible for it or not. 

This is difficult terrain. But for one, I do think you're slightly exaggerating the alleged unamerican hellhole liberal rule produces. I get California as example, but imho, it doesn't really play out that way on a national level. But I am aware you see that quite differently, but overall, I consider the Biden administration to be fairly moderate.

But even if that isn't so for many. I can not take this as wholesome explanation for Trump. Any republican president would serve as a counter to liberal policies, all of them that debated yesterday, it would not take Trump to do so. Trump is the rhetorical extreme, that's what's appealing, and his anti-liberal positions reach far beyond reality and straight into hostility and demonization. To me, he appeals to the worst, irrational instincts in what he paints as an ideological civil war, and that does not go away. It has little to do with rationality.

Which btw. is not a shot against those that eventually would vote for him over Biden. There I can see your point more clearly, he might appear as the better choice for conservaitive leaning folks. But when it comes to him leading distinctly in the primaries, that to me is something else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When will the GOP admit to themselves and their voters the truth about Donald Trump a - hollodero - 08-24-2023, 11:55 AM