Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Starting Rotation - Is It Good Enough?
(08-24-2023, 12:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Given Greene is only 24 years old, I think there's still time to try him as a SP for the next couple years before considering pushing him to the BP.
Prior to his injury, Greene allowed only 4+ runs three times across 14 starts.
In those 11 instances where he's allowed 3 runs or less, he's averaging 5.17 innings per start.

I know everyone wants a pitcher who always goes 6-7 innings a game, but 5-6 seems to becoming more of the norm nowadays.
And Greene is right in that 5-6 window.

With all that said, I was surprised to see him given that new contract when he hasn't really proven much yet.
I thought they would have gone another couple years before considering that.
Maybe they were so optimistic about him that they wanted to try to strike while the price was lower.

I don’t expect the guy to go 6+ consistently (yet. Which is what you typically want out of your supposed #1) until he can build TO that, but my issue w Greene is all the HR the guy gives up. The fact they brought him up without really, truly working on his change up and getting some consistent movement on that fastball in the minors and THEN paying him, albeit a bargain IF he pans out, all that money was flat out irresponsible of this front office. At this point, he is a one trick pony, and MLB hitters can catch up to a fastball. If they didn’t need innings out of him right now to relieve this pitching staff, he would be my long relief guy until he develops those non-fastball pitches.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2024 Starting Rotation - Is It Good Enough? - The D.O.Z. - 08-24-2023, 12:30 PM