Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Starting Rotation - Is It Good Enough?
(08-24-2023, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I completely get wanting someone who doesn't have to rely on their fastball so much, but the fastball is what made him appealing.
He's going to use it more because it's so good.

He reminds me somewhat of Chapman, only he's able to pitch deeper into games.
Remember, Chapman was being talked about for a brief time as a potential starting option.
They gave up on that possibility quickly when they realized he can't go more than once through and order and was typically getting rocked after just 2-3 innings.

If memory serves me though, Chapman had a nice slider and change up he could throw to keep hitters off balance. He didn’t use them nearly as often as the fastball, but they were effective and it kept his fastball effective. Greene doesn’t have that, and he’s getting tattooed due to it, in my opinion.

Sort of side thought / question here but why aren’t we drafting, developing, and signing pitchers better suited for GABP? Instead of the high strikeout guys, why aren’t we looking for more “career groundball rate” guys? Why aren’t we working with players like Greene, to develop a sinker / downward movement on those high-spin-rate fastballs? Maybe we are, and I’m just not seeing the behind the scenes work?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2024 Starting Rotation - Is It Good Enough? - The D.O.Z. - 08-24-2023, 12:52 PM