Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
When will the GOP admit to themselves and their voters the truth about Donald Trump a
(08-25-2023, 12:43 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's certainly not just inflation.  I don't know a single person who states the last three years have been enjoyable.  Whether that's Biden's fault or not is certainly up for debate (I don't think all of it is certainly), but we all know the POTUS gets credit for good times that is undeserved and the reverse is equally true.

Sure. Corona was not Trump's fault, but it might have cost him the election nonetheless. I'm far removed from thinking Trump stands no chance this time, especially since many economic factors (not all of them, see unemployment) are rather grim.

(08-25-2023, 12:43 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think here is where we differ the most.  In fact, and no offense to him, you using Luvnit as a counter to this argument is actually a point in my favor.  No, Bragg is certainly not a talking point for him.  But we're talking about more moderate people, who otherwise might be swayed.  If you claim Trump is being hounded with garbage indictments, and correctly stating this has never happened to a former POTUS before, and a perfect example of such a garbage indictment drops in your lap it is literal validation of your entire viewpoint.  Bragg pushed more people to the Trump is being persecuted camp than anyone else has, by a huge margin.

But if you think Trump is haunted by garbage indictments, you're already not fair-minded about it. Most people would agree that being wrongfully accused of something does not mean one can now get away with murder by pointing to that instance, to use that figure of speech for drastic effect. It's a counterpoint I think can be valued as being just as fair as the one calling the Bragg indictment itself bogus.

Not to be misunderstood. I understand full well why the Bragg indictment might be detrimental. I wished it did not exist and said so from the very start. I don't deny it's a somewhat usable talking point for the Trump defense. At the same time, Mr. Smith has nothing to do with Mr. Bragg. Hence calling the entire tree poisoned now, to me, is not a reasonable viewpoint. And so to me most people who can not separate those indictments have a certain desired viewpoint from the start, like is often the case.

But sure, I might just as well be wrong about that. To quote a famous statesman, all I know is what's on the internet. From there, it seems no one is swayed about Trump any more, in one direction or the other. Your viewpoint, as comprehensible as it is to me (well, in parts at least), does not seem to be that common.

(08-25-2023, 12:43 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not whether you think he has the best shot, it's whether the people who vote for him do.  Plus, we need to all acknowledge the Dem push to keep Trump as the frontrunner, for reasons you just expressed.  The left cannot simultaneously decry Trump being the frontrunner while simultaneously doing everything they can to ensure that remains the case.

Sure, there just seems to exist little rational reason to believe Trump, the one guy that already lost to him before, has the best shot against Biden. Sure folks might still believe it, but folks are also probably wrong then.
I am not aware of significant Dem pushes to keep Trump as frontrunner. That being said, I also am not surprised. The Dems did financially support radical GOP candidates in primaries before, a move I find abhorrent, unprincipled, sleazy and dishonest. I feel I need to stress how little sympathy I have left for this sorry democratic party at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When will the GOP admit to themselves and their voters the truth about Donald Trump a - hollodero - 08-25-2023, 07:47 AM