Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
What will impact be with voters if Trump is forced to take a mug shot?
(08-26-2023, 05:28 PM)basballguy Wrote: SSP kinda already hit on this...also, the judge here is providing a personal opinion and it's not a statement of fact.

??? Judge's legal explanation of what a jury found in a trial he presided over is "personal opinion"? 

(08-26-2023, 05:28 PM)basballguy Wrote: But then it sounds like you're just providing speculation and opinion and not actual fact like it came across.  

??? Not sure what you are saying here. Am I "speculating" about whether Trump's team forged 7 slates of 
false electors, or that Trump called together a mob to pressure Pence to throw the certification with the intent 
to illegally retain power? 

Seems like you are operating the distinction between "opinion" and "fact" in a rather black and white fashion.
There is a difference between "opinion" supported with reason and evidence, and "just opinion," like some guy's wild guess.
There is a difference between a legal "opinion" as a genre of legal writing and your "opinion" on who will win the AFC North.

There is also a difference between kinds of "facts." A jury may on occasion convict an innocent person, or let a
guilty person go free. That a jury renders a decision is a legal fact, certainly, but if the verdict is wrong, then 
what actually happened is another kind of "fact," an extra-legal one. 

So I don't know what you are getting at when a judge's explanation of why Carroll was judged to have been raped, in the 
"common understanding" of the term, seems to you just his "opinion," and then you ask me why the Trump indictments
don't mention the word "coup." You were asking for "fact" rather than speculation/opinion?   

Perhaps you were assuming that if the word "coup" were mentioned in the indictment, then it would be a "fact" that what
Trump attempted was a coup, but if not then not? And if not, then calling the attempt to overturn a valid election a "coup" would be hyperbole? 
Hope that's not what you are assuming, but I do want to ask.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What will impact be with voters if Trump is forced to take a mug shot? - Dill - 08-27-2023, 12:26 PM