Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Joe Burrow is Tony Romo with elite fundamentals and the clutch gene
My take on NFL QBs is simple. Can they run the 2 minute drill ? Some draft people questioned Joe Montana from Notre Dame, I did not because he drove his team in less than 2 minutes to beat USC and Texas in the Cotton Bowl. John Elway beat Ohio State in last 2 minutes, as did Philip River, beat Buckeyes late in game, as did Drew Brees beat Buckeyes late in game, as did Tom Brady beat Buckeyes late in game. Dan Marino in college won big games in last 2 minutes. So any negative combine stuff did not show how great these QBs were in college on late in game comeback wins with little time on clock.

Now Romo beat Bengals late in a game with little time on the clock. We know Burrow can win games in the last 2 minutes. So many NFL games are won in the last 2 minutes, and some that have played could run the 2 minute drill, and others are great at it.

So when people look at NFL QBs, look at who can move their team and win in last 2 minutes. When looking at College QB's to draft, look to who could move their team to big wins in last 2 minutes. Some QB's are awful at it, some are good. Unitas could do it. So could Namath. I bet Otto Graham could. Joe Montana was best I ever saw in 2 minute drill, in College or NFL. Elway was good at it. Way before all your time. but Raiders would put in George Blanda at QB last 2 minutes, because he was so good at the 2 minute drill, and often he would QB the Raiders into field goal position and then make the game winning field goal, it was something to see.

So I always look at which QBs make game winning comebacks in last 2 minutes and step up. Both Romo and Burrow could run a great 2 minute drill. I doubt the Bengals bench QBs could, and why a healthy Burrow is so key to Bengals winning.

.I saw Joe Montana and Notre Dame down to USC, 80 yards to go needing a TD, one minute to go and no time outs. Somehow Montana drove those 80 yards to a win over USC. Then he pretty much did the same thing in The Cotton Bowl a few weeks later. Of course we know what he did to Bengals with little time on the clock in Super Bowl. Always look to the 2 minute drill, because many QBs can't run it, but a rare few are Masters at it. Both Romo and Burrow tough in last 2 minutes.

I thought Carson Palmer brought Bengals back to win many times last 2 minutes, but the Bengals D often gave the game away, which was just bad defense. Palmer would have had more late game wins had not Bengals D been so awful giving points right back.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow is Tony Romo with elite fundamentals and the clutch gene - kevin - 09-03-2023, 01:08 PM