Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why is life expectancy way lower in the US than the other civilized countries
(09-04-2023, 11:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Tax food with empty calories like you do tobacco and alcohol. You know, because they are bad for you. I don’t actually agree with that, but the fact that we pick random things to put extra taxes in is pretty ridiculous. Overweight people cost us an enormous amount. I had a morbidly obese neighbor who was on disability his whole life. In his forty years he probably spent more than a year in the hospital at out expense. Never held a job for a day.

The prognosis on this can't be good.  A few people make an obscene amount of money conditioning Americans to think stuff like carbonated syrup and other American dietary go-tos are not only A-OK, but daily essentials.  Then when the damage is done and the bill comes due it's sent to the American people.  I'm not perfect (only Curt Hennig is, really) but I try to steer clear of a lot of the bad stuff for preventative measures.  Even still, I often look at those amazingly good thin-mint knock off cookies at wal mart and when I see that price tag that is oh so low and I think about putting those things in the fridge and then eating damn near the whole tray of them as soon as I remember I have them, that's when I always point out how hard it is to avoid calories in this system we've made.

It's not a herculean feat to stay in shape in the USA, but I'll say that getting obese is becoming more of an inadvertent thing these days so I don't even mean any of this as a sort of "shame on them, shame on us" statement, it's just the way it is.  Our perspectives are pretty warped too.  I'm 5'10 and fluctuate between 170 and 180lbs and I saw the mother of one of my ex gfs somewhat recently and she complimented me with a "Wow, you're still skinny!"  The STILL indicating that everyone just gets fat eventually, and the SKINNY indicating that our concept of weight in this country is a bit titled.

Add in that amusingly morbid 600lb Life show where you have one family member who is 600+ pounds and the rest of the family is still obese but not like "stuck in a bed" obese and they see themselves as normal.  Oh, and I could ramble on about how our society increasingly equates food that might not (let's be honest, even the good stuff is bad) instantly kill you with being a wimpy homosexual.  I got the plant-based sausage at Cracker Barrel once just to make everyone mad.  I can admit that I'm fairly straight even though I got plant sausage and I may have owned an Oliva Newton John album at one point.  

t;dr - HEY HEY HEY I'm FAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Albert!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is life expectancy way lower in the US than the other civilized countries - Nately120 - 09-05-2023, 08:55 AM