Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why is life expectancy way lower in the US than the other civilized countries
(09-05-2023, 08:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The prognosis on this can't be good.  A few people make an obscene amount of money conditioning Americans to think stuff like carbonated syrup and other American dietary go-tos are not only A-OK, but daily essentials.  Then when the damage is done and the bill comes due it's sent to the American people.  I'm not perfect (only Curt Hennig is, really) but I try to steer clear of a lot of the bad stuff for preventative measures.  Even still, I often look at those amazingly good thin-mint knock off cookies at wal mart and when I see that price tag that is oh so low and I think about putting those things in the fridge and then eating damn near the whole tray of them as soon as I remember I have them, that's when I always point out how hard it is to avoid calories in this system we've made.

It's not a herculean feat to stay in shape in the USA, but I'll say that getting obese is becoming more of an inadvertent thing these days so I don't even mean any of this as a sort of "shame on them, shame on us" statement, it's just the way it is.  Our perspectives are pretty warped too.  I'm 5'10 and fluctuate between 170 and 180lbs and I saw the mother of one of my ex gfs somewhat recently and she complimented me with a "Wow, you're still skinny!"  The STILL indicating that everyone just gets fat eventually, and the SKINNY indicating that our concept of weight in this country is a bit titled.

Add in that amusingly morbid 600lb Life show where you have one family member who is 600+ pounds and the rest of the family is still obese but not like "stuck in a bed" obese and they see themselves as normal.  Oh, and I could ramble on about how our society increasingly equates food that might not (let's be honest, even the good stuff is bad) instantly kill you with being a wimpy homosexual.  I got the plant-based sausage at Cracker Barrel once just to make everyone mad.  I can admit that I'm fairly straight even though I got plant sausage and I may have owned an Oliva Newton John album at one point.  

t;dr - HEY HEY HEY I'm FAAAAAAAAAAAAAT Albert!

I've always been a skinny guy.  People kept telling me, wait until your 30, wait until your 40, wait until your 50............................Well I am getting close to 50 and I am 6'2" 190.  Still waiting to get fat.  lol.   I was 215 lbs when I quit drinking.  In 3 months I dropped to 185 and stayed there for years.  Now, as I said, I am 190 and have been there for quite some time.

The big difference imo is that I rarely snack, don't drink soda/sugary drinks and I don't drink alcohol.  No caffeine either.  No coffee.  Seltzer water/water is 99.5% of what I drink.

I look at FB and it seems most people I am friends with, old classmates etc are all at least somewhat chunky to outright fat.  I notice this everywhere I go.  So many chunky/fat people.  It really is amazing.  The sad thing is you can't gain weight if you don't shove that food in your mouth.  It's almost always self inflicted.

The saddest thing I see are kids, sometimes they don't even look like they are teenagers, walking around with an energy drink.  One of the kids on one of my sons sports teams last year was bragging about how he drank 3 energy drinks before the game.   Just sad.  And the parents don't think twice.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is life expectancy way lower in the US than the other civilized countries - Mickeypoo - 09-06-2023, 02:28 PM