Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better?
(09-07-2023, 03:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's a question of water depth and ease of exit, your next to last paragraph nails it. The objective was to unload the troops as quickly as possible onto the beach. If it opened from the back or the side, they would dropping into significantly deeper water, making their trek to the beach much slower. They were loaded up with full equipment, and would now be soaking wet, trying to rush to the beach and avoid fire while doing so. They would have been gunned down in the water instead, or they would have perhaps drowned if they fell. I do think they knew that the strategy would result in many deaths, but they wanted to overwhelm the beach with soldiers and a front door was the best option to do so. 

But what percentage of troops made it to the beach or in shallow enough water where it wouldn't have been as big of a problem? Risk vs reward.

I did a quick internet search about how many vessels actually landed on the beach but couldn't find a simple answer.

I did see where they said an early morning landing or even a night landing would have been much better because of the difficulties seeing.

I'm going to get a new phone but thanks for the insight and keep them coming! I forgot how much I loved this type of thing!

I'll be back in (hopefully) in a bit!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better? - BFritz21 - 09-07-2023, 03:59 PM