Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better?
(09-07-2023, 03:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But what percentage of troops made it to the beach or in shallow enough water where it wouldn't have been as big of a problem? Risk vs reward.

I did a quick internet search about how many vessels actually landed on the beach but couldn't find a simple answer.

I did see where they said an early morning landing or even a night landing would have been much better because of the difficulties seeing.

I'm going to get a new phone but thanks for the insight and keep them coming! I forgot how much I loved this type of thing!

I'll be back in (hopefully) in a bit!

Well, in total the Allies used roughly 5,000 landing vessels to transport 150k-160k troops to France. The total casualties for all included was around 10,300, with ~4k of those being deaths, which was quite impressive. The Allies had long been involved in a deception plot to make the Nazis believe that they were going to invade in a different area of France. Due to this, the Nazi forces were re-positioned to that particular area and Normandy was "lightly defended". It is hard to say how many vessels landed on the beach, but this link describes it as "few". There were strong currents and quite a bit of confusion when the landing commenced. The first photo in this article gives an idea of what many of the soldiers were tasked with once the bay doors dropped on their boats. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better? - KillerGoose - 09-07-2023, 04:31 PM