Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better?
(09-07-2023, 06:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't ever realize that the Canadians had accomplished anything ever in terms of the military, but they apparently they played a HUGE role in capturing one of the beaches (Juno, if I remember correctly).

How they broke the German code and kept them in the dark for so long is so damn impressive in itself.

I feel like all this history is getting lost in a generation where (most) kids only care about things like TikTok and Facebook. 

I was supposed to read two books for English class the summer before the wreck and write papers on them, which I just browsed them and threw together bullshit papers, but I read a few books on WW2 and other wars.
So many things, like the tides, went wrong on D-Day that it's hard to figure out why it was successful.

I thought I saw somewhere where the moon would have been bright enough to carry out the invasions at night. I know it's not nearly as bright as the sun, but with all the explosions and things going on at the beaches, I wonder if that could have been bright enough.

A new piece of information I just found out is that Hitler went to bed late the night before and ordered his staff not to wake him up. When he finally woke up, he was excited that the invasion was happening because he thought there was no way it would succeed and figured it would crush the Allies armies and destroy their hope:

That's incredible!

Who knows if waking Hitler would have stopped the invasion, but Hitler was a pretty damn good military strategist, so who knows, because he could have also dispatched more troops, like the SS.

THANKS FOR THE INFO! 

This is incredible!

I'm definitely going to have to watch that!

I gotta go blow kisses to cars but keep the responses coming!

Dude, the Canadians were bad asses and they don't get talked about much. Cool stuff that you bring them up. Most of my WWII interest is around the atomic bombings, so I can speak at length about that. If you're interested in any books, I would recommend Prompt & Utter Destruction by J. Samuel Walker. I am sure there are some equally informative books about D-Day. All fascinating stuff. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D-Day Landings- Easily Done Better? - KillerGoose - 09-07-2023, 08:33 PM