Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences
It was always highly unlikely that Tee remained here after his rookie deal. The team will make a reasonable effort, but if he wants to get every last dollar he can, then there's probably not much room to negotiate.

It's unfortunate, but it's a good problem to have. Not many team manage to draft two legit number 1 receivers in the span of 2 years.

The good news is, the team is set up as well as can be expected to absorb the loss. They drafted two young receivers this season. The likelihood of either one being Tee Higgins is just about zero, but they probably don't have to be to fill the void sufficiently. There's also another opportunity in the upcoming draft, and the team's record evaluating wr talent is as good as it gets.

Boyd may look to be on the way out, but I suspect they could get him to remain here for a reasonable-ish deal. He seems like that type of player. You never know.

Also, if a deal con's be reached, a tag scenario will materialize, which is when things potentially get less amicable. If that happens next summer, then the tag and trade option may be a thing, and Tee would bring back even more resources to mitigate the loss.

Finally, we have a top 3 qb in the league. We need to get used to trusting him to win games without two top ten guys. He's done it through injuries to both Tee and Ja'marr, so there's no reason to think he can't. There's a reason he makes all of that money.

To be clear, I would love to see Tee be a Bengal for life. It's a rough situation for him if he truly wants to stay, because he's become the odd man out by a sort of default. It's certainly not due to his lack of production or value or attitude. It's due to being on the same team as Chase and Burrow and being due big money around the same time. I expect no player to give away money out of loyalty. He needs to ensure the best future for himself and his family.

You never know, maybe there's a scenario where Tee's 26 mil looks more amenable to the team than Ja'marr's potential 30 mil per year. It's not the most logical thing, but it's not something I see people talking about.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences - samhain - 09-09-2023, 10:06 AM