Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences
(09-09-2023, 12:15 PM)tms Wrote: Dynamics between agent and player are something we're not privy to, but surely dictate how these things go. I wouldn't be surprised if it were spelled out in the client agreement that their mutual goal was to take the best offer (i.e., most money). Which renders this nice guy stuff kinda moot. Also explains why so many players are in the dark around their negotiations, like Tee this week, "I have no clue." I guess a player could always hire a new agent willing to take a lesser deal, but that seems like a drastic step that most people- forget about millionaires- would be reluctant to take. After all, at the end of the day they are in it for the money. Also makes the player look bad and breaks a cardinal rule in the industry, which most business partners are reluctant to do and would defeat the purpose of their agreement.

"Forget those bigger offers, i'm staying here to win football games." Like, "No you're not. You wouldn't be honoring your end of our bargain. I wouldn't have added you as a client if I knew you were willing to leave $10 million on the table. That is real money, dude. We're going- we're going- wherever the work takes us. It'll be a new start and great journey in its right. You can win football games there too." I know we tend to see player/agent relationships like Jerry Maguire and Rod Tidwell but they're surely less emotional than that- by design. They are partners first and foremost. And even in jerry Maguire, I don't think name "Arizona Cardinals" was uttered by anybody at any time lol. It was the furthest thing from their minds.

Since none of us likely here have much true insight in agents and players we are all guessing and surmising. And I definitely think yours is a solid post. But agents have to truly have their clients best interest. They must follow their wishes. But they also have to do their job. I believe players that care about their current team and the salary cap won’t demand unreasonable salaries. Not sure how many of those guys exist lol. But we’ve seen players restructure deals to accommodate Free Agents. I think that Tee’s negotiations are just that. I don’t think it’s a lost cause or very optimistic but it’s fluid. I can see Joe and Chase restructure down the road but doesn’t look like now.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences - Soonerpeace - 09-09-2023, 12:30 PM