Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
When Did Cordell Volson Become hot shit?
(09-11-2023, 02:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bottom shelf G's allow 35-40 pressures per season.  Volson is currently on pace for 34, so it does make sense mathematically.

A solid OL should be winning 95% of their pass sets.  Volson got beat on 2 out of 16, which would only be 87.75%, pretty terrible compared to the standard.

What's the definition of "bottom shelf" in this context?
Is it one of the worst starters (e.g. 50-64 in the OG rankings)?
I do have to imagine there are worse guys on teams who would allow over 40, probably even over 50 pressures if they got as many snaps as a typical starter, so I don't think Volson is the among the bottom of the barrel when factoring in backups across the league.

Many (or at least some) of us last year when Volson was drafted said he was going to take time developing.
He wasn't going to be good right out of the gate.

Should the Bengals have rolled with a different, more proven LG while Volson developed? Perhaps (my opinion is yes).
Could they roll with Scharping instead at LG as a stopgap, as Scharping was actually halfway decent at LG in HOU? Or perhaps Collins once he's back since he had early success at LG in the NFL? They could, but they probably won't because they've already tied their horse to Volson.

Volson wasn't the only OL to look bad in pass protection, but he sure hasn't taken that leap (yet) like some thought/hoped he would have after this offseason of development.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When Did Cordell Volson Become hot shit? - ochocincos - 09-11-2023, 03:20 PM