Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forget Politics, are we heading for a recession
(09-11-2023, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: My problem with it as it's setup now. Why come here illegally when you have a good chance to come in on a refugee/asylum visa?
I'm thinking that the majority of those coming illegally now likely won't be approved (for whatever reason), and we don't need that type here.

I'd guess because most illegal immigrants don't qualify for asylum. They don't flee war or persecution, just a dangerous life without perspective.
Not sure why you call them "that type" that you do not need here. They usually work hard in any awful job for little pay, they don't steal jobs away (not with this unemployment rate anyway), and there seems to be no indication that I am aware of that they are more prone to crimes than Americans. They just don't qualify as refugees.

(09-11-2023, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: As far as  VISA overstays? If yours expires, they will find you. Seen many get picked up and deported.  They know where you live and work. They will eventually catch you and you are in bigger trouble (as in banned for x years) if they have to catch you vs leaving on your own voluntarily. 

Well, apparently not, since visa overstays, from what I've seen, exceed illegal border crossings and contribute more to the illegal population. It seems many visa overstays do not get caught or followed up.
Which, yeah, as a non-American is weird enough, no denying that. We would actually find them, and there's little chance they find work and a roof as illegals. It's what I mean that apparently illegals in the US are widely tolerated, from employers, landlords, states and the government possibly because the economy just wants or needs the cheap labor.

(09-11-2023, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: As far as the kids go, there's no easy way to handle that. It's a catch 22, no real way to win.

Sure there is. Let the kids stay. At least those that know little else but the US throughout their life because they've grown up here and been here for over a decade.
For sure I'm not saying just let people cross the border and then point to their kids to never get thrown out again. There can be clear rules to minimize exploitation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forget Politics, are we heading for a recession - hollodero - 09-11-2023, 09:25 PM