Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
New Mexico governor deliberately violates Constitution
(09-13-2023, 11:44 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Have they been arguing that the state is the destiny of its people, 
and that the nation requires a leader above the law, to whom the military and government officials should 
demonstrate personal loyalty?  Without knowing it?

Dude, Trump isn’t a fascist. Too many on the left think fascist just means “mean white guy.” Name one policy he had that was fascist. “He tried to overturn the election”, no, he genuinely believed it was rigged against him. With the Hunter Biden laptop story, the 2 year long frivolous Russia investigation, the way that the media has twisted his words and words of Republicans’ (“don’t say gay”, “Muslim ban”, “stronger borders = xenophobia and racism”), I don’t blame him. 

You are getting over anxious here. I did not say Trump was a fascist, and I have argued elsewhere in this forum, not only that he is not but people use the term improperly. They really should be using more general terms like "right-wing authoritarian populist" or "autocrat."  Calling him "fascist" is like calling garden variety Democrats and centrists "the left."  E.g., here:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-The-Fight-Against-Fascists-I-Can-t-Believe-This-Exists?page=2&highlight=fascism (#25,27)
and here: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-CPAC-stage-design-Fascists-gonna-Fascist?pid=994984&highlight=fascism#pid994984 (#30)
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Republican-National-Convention-s?pid=894409&highlight=fascism#pid894409 (81)
and here: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Sometimes-it-is-a-drag-being-correct?pid=722978&highlight=fascism#pid722978  (23)

Since I don't think Trump is a fascist, I don't need to name one fascist policy of his.  But since I do think he is an authoritarian, I'm willing to name some statements and actions that are very clearly authoritarian in character. One that comes frequently to mind is his assertion that we should have "kept the oil" after the Iraq war--like an ill-advised war creates a right to other's private property. His efforts to scapegoat non-Anglo ethnicities also fit the authoritarian mold, warning Americans of Mexican "rapists" and doing his damnedest to create a Muslim ban. That is a consistent feature of right-wing populism across continents. The most blatant examples, of course, were his efforts to overthrow a valid election, during which he considered seizing voting machines, wanted the DOJ to declare a "problem" with the election, organized lists of fake electors, and the like. There are a lot of trimmings that could go here as well: the misogyny, wanting a military parade, that crazy press conference with his cabinet gushing over how wonderful it was to work for him, his love for foreign dictators, the phasing out of truth-tellers among his advisors and staff in favor of yes men, his public humiliation of subordinates, etc. 

(09-13-2023, 11:44 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Here’s a small outline of how the left is displaying fascism:

2) This is more Nazi-esque, but, the obsession with race. Traditional liberalism sought a colorblind society. This is the complete opposite of the left today—the left is absolutely OBSESSED with race. They bring it into every discussion. They categorize people by skin color and demand they act a certain way (“If they don’t vote for me, they ain’t black” - Joe Biden). For a good example of this, look up Candace Owens’ interview on CNN. She’s a black conservative (which, to many on the left means she’s a black white supremacist or Uncle Tom), and the first question she was asked by the anchor was “are you concerned about the color in the White House”? Our race relations now are worse than they were in the 90s, and it is SOLELY inflicted by the left

You've put a lot of info out there. For the moment I'll just deal with the above.

First "racism" is not an intrinsic requirement of fascism. Fascism in Italy was born without it as either tenet or policy theme (though Italian fascists certainly had racist views similar to other Europeans and to Americans at the time). 

Second, if you consider Nazism fascism, racism and racial hierarchy were built into their policies and worldview for sure. But their view was that "non-Aryan" races were inferior. Fascism, in all its varieties, affirms natural inequality. Those people you call "the Left" sound more like they are obsessed with racial equality, not inequality, as Nazis were.  

So it seems to me that you are doing what I have accused "the Left" of doing--i.e., misapplying the term "fascism."  Why isn't that right wing "manipulation of speech"? (Though manipulation of speech is something all parties do in all countries--not an index of fascism.)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Mexico governor deliberately violates Constitution - Dill - 09-13-2023, 08:30 PM