Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
New Mexico governor deliberately violates Constitution
(09-13-2023, 05:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have a confession to make.  Until very recently I was on board with the "suck it up loser kids" mentality on rent etc.  Just get a roommate like I did I would think.  My friends and I were playing cards last weekend and we discussed the rent situation (one of my friends has his step kids, who are 25 and 31 living in his home and paying $500 a month in rent).  I opined that was very reasonable (it is, he lives in a nice 4 bedroom home in Orange County).  We then got to discussing rent in general, which prompted me to look what my first apartment was currently going for.  This was a two bedroom, one bath, with minimal living room and kitchen that I shared with one of the friends who was there playing cards.  In the mid 90's (I'm 49) it was going for $850 a month, which is reasonable.  The same place is now renting for $2,600 a month, which is more than my mortgage on a nice home in Tustin.  That is effing insane!

I have always been of the opinion that anything that is a necessity should not be wholly subject to the vagaries of the free market.  That is certainly the case with rent and in CA it is out of control.  I would be firmly in the corner of rent control and capping rents at this point.  I also apologize for underestimating just how bad things had become.  I'd still be living with my parents at 30 if I had to deal with the current rent situation.

Housing costs are just getting to be a cluster in so many places and there are so many reasons. Some, like a lot of places in California, there isn't enough high-density building happening to meet demand. The city I am in it is a matter of university students from wealthier areas being the target for the housing market resulting in low income families being priced out of the market.

My wife and I would have been stuck in the rent cycle had my FIL not decided he wanted to move up here and we shared a mortgage. He made the down payment and we pay the monthly bill. Our mortgage is about the same our rent was and is, but we just moved out in 2019, so it hasn't been that long.

All in all, there are a lot of issues in our economy that my generation has faced that the ones before us just don't get. The same is true for every generation, but it is always interesting to me how young some people think Millennials still are. I mean, we're the ones who should have children in school right now, buying houses, holding middle-management roles, etc. There are a lot of reasons that these things just aren't true, though, and many of them can be attributed in large part to the deregulation movement. Unfortunately, because most people don't like to live in a world of nuance and instead view things in black and white, we get the false dichotomy we saw in that poll from 2018. The reality is a much more complicated one filled with a variety of public policies that could put a check on our capitalist system while maintaining a healthy private sector.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Mexico governor deliberately violates Constitution - Belsnickel - 09-13-2023, 06:46 PM