Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Striking workers to receive unemployment?
(09-15-2023, 05:03 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: In some respects, going on strike isn't necessarily a personal choice.  You could argue that joining the union was a choice, but in this case it seems like if you want to work in that industry, you have no choice but to join.

And in general, having funds/support to go on strike for a fair wage seems like a fair social construct.  But what if the taxpayer was on the hook to support a striking teacher's union, who's pay increases will also come out of the taxpayer wallet?  I think this is why some unions include a rainy day fund as part of their dues, however that may only provide a limited runway.

Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon and Seth Meyers were doing some podcast together to raise funds for writers.  HOW GENEROUS!!!! Granted, I suppose they're donating their time.  And Bill Maher just claimed that they don't deserve a living wage because it's a make-or-break business.  All those guys have multi-million $ contracts - just 10% of their salary would go a long way toward a significant raise for support staff.  They all claim to be for a living wage and rail about CEO pay, but it's a great example of NIMW (not in my wallet) - very easy to be generous with other people's money.  Hippocrates, not that it should surprise anyone.

I don't know if a law would work such that the new contract must include backpay for wages lost during the strike.  Obviously that would have to come out of any pay gains the union won.  The incentives are much better aligned in an industry like automotive where they have massive fixed costs that make a strike very costly for the companies - so both sides have a lot of pain that incentivizes them to reach a deal.

In the case of the actors/writers strike, these are some of the most progressive people out there.  Solution would seem to be a 5% tax or whatever on the top-10% of earners.  That would provide a healthy rainy day fund for the people that can't afford to be on strike.

Just to be clear have you ever met someone who the very moment he or she opens their mouth, even before their vocal cords work your asswipe radar goes off and there is absolutely no doubt in your mind that person is an asswipe? Bill Maher is one of them.. Look up asswipe in the dictionary and there's a picture of Maher beside it..   Make no mistake, Bill Maher is a scab..always was and always will be.. Don't even get me started on how I really feel about Maher..You should check out Kieth Obermans take on Maher..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Striking workers to receive unemployment? - grampahol - 09-16-2023, 12:56 AM