Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow
(09-19-2023, 10:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think we have a bit unrealistic ideas of quality backups.  Many of the top tier teams do not have very good backups.. actually Seiman had more experience and better stats than the backups at Buffalo, Browns, Miami, Jacksonville, Chiefs to name a few.  Sometimes a really solid backup wants to go to a team where maybe they actually have a chance to take over the QB position during a season or injury... And being 500 record is probably what 40% the starting QBs in our league are not going to achieve so to expect backups to do better would be unlikely. 

I hear you, Essex and agree as a General rule.

I still see this issue as Case by Case.

Browning has been with the Bengals since 2021 and knows the System.

He would be asked to Start for a Team that has gone to 2 straight AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl.  Not for a scrub Team.

He isn't being asked to pull a Cooper Rush (5 straight Wins) or Brock Purdy level of success.

Just come in and show that during his 3rd year in the System he can Win 2 and lose 2.

It would NOT surprise me if he came in and did it even though the odds are against him as you imply.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow - depthchart - 09-19-2023, 10:18 PM