Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow
(09-19-2023, 10:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: I hear you, Essex and agree as a General rule.

I still see this issue as Case by Case.

Browning has been with the Bengals since 2021 and knows the System.

He would be asked to Start for a Team that has gone to 2 straight AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl.  Not for a scrub Team.

He isn't being asked to pull a Cooper Rush (5 straight Wins) or Brock Purdy level of success.

Just come in and show that during his 3rd year in the System he can Win 2 and lose 2.

It would NOT surprise me if he came in and did it even though the odds are against him as you imply.

I like Browning he is like a mini me Burrow. He has good mobility throws well on the run and has questionable arm strength. Burrows knock on him coming into the NFL was arm strength. Browning arm is weaker than Burrows by quite a bit since Burrow has worked to improve that over the last few years. But the deep ball is more timing than the distance the ball goes downfield. Some QB can launch it 60 yards but if you hit a guy 30 yards downfield with some yards after catch that's called a deep throw. The big difference between Burrow and Browning is how quickly Burrow reads the defense and gets the ball out as well as accuracy. 

I do think we can win with Browning but even if we cannot it is better than seeing Burrow struggle with the injury all year trying to play through it with the chance of seriously hurting the guy long-term.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow - BengalsBong - 09-20-2023, 04:00 AM