Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow
(09-20-2023, 03:20 PM)tms Wrote: I gotta confess to one thing. I've always considered NFL backup qbs to be the most overrated position in the league, just in terms of how if you ever need to rely on them you might as well tank the year. Especially when you have a dog like Burrow who won't come out of the game unless he's suffered something truly catastrophic. There are exceptions to the rule- like Foles or Hostetler or whomever- but I find it's generally true. And I still believe that.

What I don't believe is that my label for them is accurate anymore: the collarbone quarterback, in that that's the one injury where backups could be useful. I stand corrected. There are clearly others. Tweaked calf, for example.

It really depends on the team and scenario.  

If a team has no real playoff aspirations, then plugging a backup in means little.  It might even be an audition for a job on another roster..  At worst it helps a bad team tank for a better pick.  

For a team with title aspirations, it's a little more important to have a guy that can at least win a game or two when the starter misses time.  

They don't necessarily have to pay an expensive vet backup.  They could at the very least draft a mid round rookie to groom in the offense while on an affordable contact.  This is the route I've wanted them to take for the last 2 drafts....
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow - samhain - 09-21-2023, 02:54 AM