Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dallas Mayor Flips to GOP: 'Cities Need Republicans'
(09-22-2023, 11:34 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, I do not think this explanation is actually true. To large exents in the bigger picture, but particularly in this specific instance. I do not think Dino just hated it that this is a black person dissenting with Democrats. I don't think that is a fair assumption to make, not for me anyway; I find it rather prejudiced really.

You know what, in terms of this site alone I will concede that.  It was not a fair statement to make.  In general terms in this country it's an absolutely accurate statement to make.  It occurs all the time, and the Dems clearly feel entitled to the black vote.  As I stated, and no one addressed, Biden literally said if you didn't vote for him you "aren't black".  This was merely saying out loud what her Democratic party believes in private.  And the treatment black conservatives get is often beyond appalling.

Quote:Also, I am not all that enthusiastic about this move honestly. He could just leave the party and be an independent, that should carry the message well enough. Going to the Republicans, however, certainly comes with its own severe issues, this party collectively bending down to Trump's will being among them. Even if you don't see it that way, most of his voters certainly were. It feels like betraying one's own voter base and if I were a constituent, I'd be angry no matter the sincerity of his motives.

I've scoured news stories and can't find anything about his constituents being angry.  Twitter/X seems about 60-40% in favor, although I certainly concede that is hardly scientific.  But we have an equal dearth of evidence that they are angry, only speculation.  I disagree about the switching parties move.  If it was done for the reasons he gave, and we have no real reason to doubt him, then switching to the GOP sends the exact message he intends to send, that the far left is deliberately making urban centers unsafe with their horrific criminal justice policies.

Quote:Since I am not, I am still curious about the reasons and don't find them to be farcical. And these are issues certainly not just raised by isolated individulas, there's certainly a common theme. 

Edit, just saw that Dill made the same point about constituents being rightfully angry. With him on that one.

I think it's also important to not look at this move in a vacuum.  This is the second high profile Democrat to leave the party of late, along with numerous lesser known ones, and Machin will likely make it three.  There is a serious rot inside the Democratic party right now on this issue, and it's an issue that is important to every single person in this country.  It's not a niche issue like abortion, or gun control.  Not that either of those aren't concerns for millions of Americans, but public safety is a concern for 100% of Americans, and the Dems are failing on this issue as badly as you can fail.  Not only that, but they keep inventing excuses for why it's not their policies that are to blame and then doubling down on said policies.  Illinois recently abolishing cash bail being the latest example.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dallas Mayor Flips to GOP: 'Cities Need Republicans' - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-23-2023, 12:59 PM