Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dallas Mayor Flips to GOP: 'Cities Need Republicans'
(09-24-2023, 12:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You'll forgive me for skipping over yet another diatribe about Trump and the "big lie".  You added nothing you haven't repeated at least a hundred times before in other posts, so please forgive me for moving past it.
What you, and many far leftists, can't seem to grasp is that there is no comparison here.  A street criminal may feel justified in what they do, although I can tell you regardless of their excuses they give the vast, vast majority of them know they're doing wrong and don't care.  I shared the story of the woman who was stealing groceries to "feed her kids" but had a cart loaded with hundreds of dollars of king crab legs and numerous bottles of liquor.  So, it's more a case of telling stories they know will garner sympathy in far left ideologues and the terminally gullible than it is believing what they're doing is justified.  Criminals play the far left like a violin, they see you as convenient marks, a sucker they can run game on.  And in the far left's rush to appear as virtuous as possible they eagerly fill this role to the detriment of everyone else.
You can try as you might to make people view Trump's actions on the same level as the guy who put a gun in their face and demanded their wallet or car.  Or the smash and grab theft ring that just looted their business.  Or the person who randomly assaulted them for "disrespecting them".  Or the person who punched an elderly woman in the face, took her purse and threw her down on the ground, breaking her hip.  Or the person whose house was broken into, robbed and ransacked with the thieves spray painting over their artwork and on their hardwood floors, leaving graffiti that said they were easy to rob.  And these are just a few examples of cases I have directly seen this month.
You can try all you like, and you will continue to fail in that regard, because street level crime, that actually affects people's day to day lives, will always matter more than what Trump did or did not do on 01/06, no matter how much righteous indignation you muster over the issue.

You dodged the essential argument, and went on to refute an argument I never made via a comparison I never made.
Who knows if the dodge was deliberate or a sincere failure to understand?  I sure don't. But a dodge it was.

An attempted coup is rather more of a problem FOR THE NATION than random assault, even of an elderly woman.
Just as the assassination of a president is more of a problem for the nation than a random murder.

Plenty of people do understand this, even people who are randomly mugged, because they understand what "rule of law" means.
You don't; that is clear enough. My worry is that many other voters don't either. The right can play them like a violin. And does.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

@ Dino, this does have something to do with your thread topic, as the choice before the US voter now is that is between a law and order party and one that explicitly affirms rule of law (that's what the Trump prosecutions are about). One consequence of the former as that internal party dynamics change such that party leaders become more interested in gaining and maintaining power than ruling on principle. We see that in current Congressional divisions, as principled people are voted out of office and the number of people who want power so badly they will do amazing flip flops to stay in power increases.

Johnson's rationale for switching parties clearly appeals to the law and order faction and, as he expresses it, seems more about CA cities than Texas ones, but now will be applied to a Texas city that he has already been governing for some years. Except he has no plans to change his "approach."

Did he need to change parties in order to govern Dallas the "right" way? If he's not going to change his "approach," how does his becoming a Republican make Dallas better and safer, aside from less "virtue signaling" and nose thumbing at Republicans? More likely the switch is about a track to a more powerful office. That's about the only goal he could have that could be furthered by the change of party.

If BBG voted against him and remembers something of Dallas politics, maybe something about Johnson's style or what people thought of him, I would like to hear more about it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dallas Mayor Flips to GOP: 'Cities Need Republicans' - Dill - 09-25-2023, 09:07 PM