Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zac Taylor play calling is trash!
(09-27-2023, 11:33 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: How are we distinguishing good playcalling from bad playcalling? Are we measuring it by how successful a play was?

I find the convos about playcalling interesting because all we're really doing is making a judgement from our couches.

I will say that, as someone who watches the Bengals and Cowboys, that I notice that there are some plays from the latter where Ceedee et al at WIDE open. I woner why we never see any of that with Jamar and Tee. Are they it or not?

It's because they continuously put the same WRs in virtually the same roles doing the same things and have for years.

The Bengals coaches have been relying on the WRs talents to get them open... which works in man coverage most of the time. But when there is cover 2 all game and the outsides are taken away the Bengals coaches have LEFT THEIR PLAYMAKERS OUT THERE almost just sacrificing them to be taken off the board and then forced the ball to 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier options.

This, to me, is coaching and scheme related. It's the NFL. You can only out-talent defenses for so long until they cook up ways to challenge that. Then you have to adapt. The Bengals adaptation has been an evolution, it seems like. Adaptations in life are typically rapid. Evolutions take forever.

The biggest thing with this, too, is Burrow's injury and lack of mobility crushes things the Bengals are good at: Off script, extend plays, roll outs, throws on the move, go balls.

The injury is a reality that they should have already adapted to and moving their best guys around into mismatches just now happening is comically poor coaching.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - PDub80 - 09-27-2023, 11:43 AM