Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Start AJ McCarron or Jake Browning
IF ONE OF THE BACK-UP QB'S HAS A SOLID PRACTICE WEEK

In caps as a topic title, but put I put in this.

This team is not gong to get better until Burrow is healthy and can escape in the pocket and be elusive as he has been in the last 2 years. So Burrow will not be in practice much anyway. So IF one of the back-up QB's really looks good in practice this week to the coaches, I say go ahead and start him against Arizona. Only IF a back-up earns it in practice, otherwise you have to start Burrow.

The best thing right now would be to have a back-up look good in practice week and earn a starting spot. Let both of the back-ups work with the starters in practice. Then if one has a great week of practice, you start him with Burrow suited up on the bench if needed if this back-up looks awful in the game. Right now you can't look more awful than Burrow last week.

With a bye week in week 7. If a back-up can do well in practice and show he can start a game or 2, let Burrow rest that calf injury against Arizona and Seahawks in Cincinnati and bye week. Then hopefully have a more healthy Burrow ready to play like the star he is after the bye week.

Of course as I say, if the back-ups stink it up in practice week, then you have to start Burrow. I say give the back-ups reps with the 1st string and rest Burrow in practice, and see If any of these back-ups can cut the mustard in practice week. Make them earn it.

and I'll add. I'm old enough that I saw Joe Namath of bad legs. Sometimes Broadway Joe couldn't start the game, but in 4th quarter he could come in and beat teams with a game winning drive. So that is an option with Joe Burrow suited up on the bench as a back-up starts the game. Like a baseball closer in the bullpen if needed at the end of the game, and you just don't see the back-up starter winning in the last moments. Like Joe Namath, Joe Burrow comes in a few minutes, wins, and not much wear and tear on his legs doing just a relief role last few minutes.

Of course, if a back-up can beat Arizona and Burrow never plays, even better. The idea being that the Bengals can dominate after the bye week if Burrow gets healthy. This team is only as good as Joe Burrow is.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Start AJ McCarron or Jake Browning - kevin - 10-03-2023, 10:03 AM