Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
P01135809 Echoes Hitler: Migrants "Poisoning the Blood of Our Country"
(10-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Coming from you I take the point far more seriously.  The problem is the Nazi analogy is so overused as to make it a worthless accusation.  How many times have I heard the accusation hurled in the last three years?  I've literally heard it used against black and Hispanic officers.

It was a widely overused accusation. But that weird people use it to bully cops etc. does not mean that the accusation now lost all its meaning in any case. There are still cases of actual Nazi language around, after all.

(10-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interestingly enough a far better comparison to Nazism can be made to the La Raza (literally The People) movement, which emphasizes strong identification to ethnocentric ties within the Latin-American community. Of course, no leftists would ever dare make a comparison of any other ethnic propagation ideology to Nazism if the ethnicity in question wasn't Caucasian.

Probably not. But that also has little to do with the case at hand.

(10-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Of course there is a comparison to any nationalist movement and Nazism.  Opposition to immigration can also always be tied to Nazism.  But being a nationalist opposed to immigration does not make one a Nazi.

Yes, but this is not about Trump or anyone being opposed to immigration. It's about him using Nazi phrases while doing so. Quite literal Nazi phrases. Btw. it might be another coincidence (it would still be horrible language, imho), or he gets ideas from the wrong kind of people.

(10-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nazism is inextricably linked, for obvious reasons, to wars of aggression, a police state, forced deportation, concentration camps and genocide.  If there is any government on this planet right now that would earn the comparison it would be China, but we never hear that comparison.

Sure. A Nazi regime in the strictest sense will never materialize as such again, so every comparison will fail at some point; but certain elements can. Tropes like the language used. Pointing to rhetorical duplicates does not necessarily mean the ones using the Nazi language are themselves to be seen as actual Nazis now. But these tropes can still be seen as typical for rising anti-democratic, populist authoritarian forces, or fascists if you will. Many of whom used and use certain pages from the Nazi playbook, especially language-wise.

I don't know if it makes any sense to make Nazi-China comparisons, that's a completely different culture with a completely different history and I can not quite comment on their rhetoric. But they certainly fall under the authoritarian category and that is debated plenty. Sweet Baerbock called Xi a dictator recently and imho that shoe fits well enough.

(10-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Bottom line, the comparison is far too charged to made in the way it is here.  Unless you're comfortable with me comparing the left to worst excesses of communism, as they share a lot of the same ideology.

I mean, by all means, do it. There's a chance that afterwards I will still not see the left as close to the worst excesses of communism as I see Trump to fascism, but I'm comfortable with any decent counterpoint. If AOC used a common phrase from Stalin, for example, you'd have a splendid comparison.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: P01135809 Echoes Hitler: Migrants "Poisoning the Blood of Our Country" - hollodero - 10-05-2023, 09:23 PM