Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underappreciated Bengal: Trey Hendrickson
(10-10-2023, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel like this guy is every bit as impactful as Geno Atkins was and better overall than Carlos Dunlap, yet we barely talk about him.

28 sacks in 36 games as a Bengal. An average of 12.4 sacks per 16 games. This season, he has 6 sacks and 7 QB hits in only 5 games.

Is it that he wasn't drafted by the Bengals? Or that Joe and Chase take so much of the focus? I feel like we've had some guys on defense that are or should be stars, but they're pretty much afterthoughts. Logan Wilson is another. DJ Reader. Etc.

Lost me at saying he's every bit as impactful as a future Hall of Famer, Shake. Atkins wasn't just a beast as a pass rushing DT, but he also was great against the run. There's a reason why Atkins was an All-Pro. There's a reason why Atkins is a HoF All-Decade Teamer.

- - - - - - -

I also disagree with being overall better than Dunlap as well. Hendrickson plays 2/3rds of the snaps, Dunlap played 4/5ths of the snaps. Dunlap had to be on the field more, playing the run more and having to dedicate energy towards it. It's a difference between playing 840-940 defensive snaps in a year to Hendrickson's 630-720.

Dunlap's 2 Consecutive Pro Bowl Years: 21.5 Sacks, 5 FF, 16 Pdef, 23 TFL, 57 QB Hits
Hendrickson's 2 Consecutive Pro Bowl Years: 22.0 Sacks, 6 FF, 3 Pdef, 18 TFL, 51 QB Hits

Hendrickson is very very good rushing the passer. He is not good against the run, so they put him on the field for about 15% less snaps to avoid over-exposing him against the run. Can't see how you can call a guy "better overall" if half of his game isn't good.

- - - - - - - -

We can celebrate Hendrickson being very good at football and a difference maker on the field, but he's not a HoF difference maker like Atkins and while I think he's a better pass rusher right now than Dunlap was, I don't think I could agree with being better overall. I will not abide any Atkins slander. Lol

I also think Hendrickson isn't underappreciated. He gets plenty of love from both fans and the FO who gave him an extension to give him some more cash earnings in 2023 even though he wasn't in his final year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most underappreciated Bengal: Trey Hendrickson - TheLeonardLeap - 10-10-2023, 07:16 PM