Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hamas Attacks Israel: 70 Israelis, 198 Palestinians Dead
(10-11-2023, 01:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ignoring the broad brush aspect of this statement, I would reply that I would give them the same response if the claim was made in my presence.

Then why use the word?  You agree it is inaccurate and I think you'd agree that such an accusation is an extremely weighty one to make.  Hence I would think we'd be in agreement that its use is hyperbolic, and intentionally so.  I would argue that it is used, not by you btw, to help justify the abhorrent reactions of Hamas.  As an intelligent and honest person I would ask you to consider not using it for this reason and to encourage others to do the same.

Using that definition, yes such a claim could be made.  But I would add that they are not "technically" different, they are completely different.  One may follow the other, just as death is often proceeded by cancer.  But that does not make them companions in the sense that one must allows follow the other.  The incorrect use of such a heavily charged accusation raises red flags all over the place for me.

Ethnic cleansing and genocide are similar in they are often used towards the same goals, but you're right that I used it inaccurately in my initial use. I was under the assumption that genocide was a blanket term referring to removal of a population of people based on ethnic or religious grounds, which would put ethnic cleansing and extermination as two categories of genocide. But upon further examination, I found that they were distinct. I'm sorry for the confusion. It was not my intention to muddy the waters.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hamas Attacks Israel: 70 Israelis, 198 Palestinians Dead - CJD - 10-11-2023, 01:46 PM