Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trump's lawyer-President does not have to support Constitution
There is a lawsuit in Colorado challenging Trump's candidacy. The claim in that his actions surrounding the 2020 election were a violation of the 14th Amendment which forbids people who have committed insurrection from holding elective office.

In their response to the suit, Trump's lawyers claim that the clause only applies to "officers" of the government who take an oath to "support" the constitution

1) they argue that the holder of the Office of President is not an elected officer of the United States
and
2) The presidential oath only requires the President to "preserve, protect, and defend" the Constitution not support it

now I realize that I am not a constitutional scholar but I'm not quite sure how you can "preserve, protect, and defend" the Constitution without supporting it. And how you can hold an official "office" of the United States without being an elected "officer"

The question of whether or not he supported insurrection will be legally decided by the court. but somehow I have a feeling using these arguments aren't going to help his case

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-wont-support-constitution/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Trump's lawyer-President does not have to support Constitution - pally - 10-12-2023, 09:26 AM