Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brian Callahan going OFF on the offense
(10-18-2023, 06:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Look around the league and you see most teams have at least 1 RB with elite speed or is a great 3rd round back like they have in KC. The Dolphins have multiple burners, one is hurt but a rookie stud.

The Bengals do not have a burner in the RB room on the 53 man or practice squad. Years ago, we had a guy like Ickey Woods with James Brooks along with Stanley Wilson who missed the super bowl due drugs.

Woods could line up as Fullback or a tailback. Brooks was a little, but tough to tackle RB with speed and great hands. Wilson had more speed than the other two.

We keep harping on Mixon and our running game, but refuse to admit teams who use a fullback have a better run offense, McCaffrey is a great back, but behind no FB at Carolina was inconsistent. Goes to SF and only injury can stop him. Ravens have dual FB threat that weighs almost 300 lbs. They run without elite RB's because they are great run blockers and use a FB.

Why do we refuse to use a FB? The thing about the NFL is the more options a team can game plan, the harder for them to be defended. I cringe when Joey B. goes to an empty backfield. I cringe when we have 3rd or 4th and 1 because I know we have to throw it to get a first down more often than not. Our team is not built for 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1 and defenses know it.

I hope our coaching staff would be open to adding a FB to the roster in the future, they are not expensive and may have limited use in our offense, but when used, it would hopefully get those last 1 or 2 yards. In the interim, we have to have a great athlete on defense that could become a FB on the goal line or on crucial 3rd and one sitautions.

Chase brown is in the 87th percentile for the 40 yard and 83rd for 10 yard, meaning faster than 87 and 83 percent of players at his position.

He could be a burner, we just don’t know yet.

FWIW.

Top Reasons to Buy In:

Elite speed to the perimeter and proven home-run hitting ability
Promising explosion as a bellcow back in 2022 with a significant workload
Light feet to create subtle cuts and bend runs with pace through the point of attack
Shows good appetite for pass protection
Top Reasons For Concern:

Does not appear to have the power to move the pile and earn tough yards between the tackles
Will likely get rotated out in short-yardage and goal-line situations for a heavier back
Currently catches too many blows in protection, conceding space that could compromise his QB
Passes on hard yardage to bounce to the perimeter at times
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brian Callahan going OFF on the offense - Bengalbug - 10-19-2023, 09:33 AM